In Search of the Perfect Teal Couch
Because I'm obsessed with having a teal couch...
Now that I’ve found an apartment it’s time to start concentrating on what really matters: finding a couch.
I know what you’re going to say: “Just look on Craigslist.” Or, alternately, “Just go to IKEA.” And what you mean to say is, “Just get something cheap.” Because, to you, maybe a couch isn’t that important.
But, here’s the thing, I’ve been dreaming of buying my own couch since before I ever dreamed of traveling the world. And, while I was traveling, I’d often window shop online, lusting after what was out there, dreaming of someday decorating an apartment exactly how I’ve always envisioned.
I’m weird, OK.
I’m not sure when or why it got into my head that I needed a teal couch. You’d think maybe I’d obsess over a pink couch, seeing as everywhere else in life I obsess over pink. But no, when it comes to decorating, everything is teal. And so, when it comes to my couch, I’m all about the teal (or, at least, any sort of blue-green shade).
I once actually bought a powder blue sofa. It was ridiculously cheap at an outlet store because it was a floor model and only had one arm (it was technically part of a sectional — I’m not sure what happened to the rest of it). But it sat in my poor parents’ house forever as I was too poor to move out and eventually they gave it away to my sister.
But anyways, I want a teal couch. Sure, it may be more practical to get something neutral, like brown or gray. But suck it. Teal. Teal teal teal. Besides, I’m not allowed to paint in my new apartment so I need color everywhere else. Everywhere. Else.
Teal is actually a pretty popular color in couches. OK, I don’t know about popular, but it’s at least pretty available.
Teal is actually a pretty available color in couches. So there are a lot of options for me to choose from. Some are probably more comfortable than others. Some are definitely more affordable than others. And some are just downright impracticable (but pretty, still). It makes finding the perfect couch hard. Well, easy, because I want like three couches. Can I just have three living rooms? (The answer to that is, “No,” I can barely afford a one bedroom apartment to begin with.)
I kind of already know which one I’m leaning towards, because it’s one I’ve been lusting after in the store for a while. But then I see other ones and get confused. So confused.
But I really can’t wait to finally have a couch of my own. (I know, weird.)
What do you think? Which couch is your favorite? Or do you think I’m crazy and should just go on Craigslist and buy something brown. I can take it. (OK, no, I can’t.)
1. Peggy Sofa in Eucalyptus from West Elm.
2. Avec Apartment Sofa in Peacock from CB2.
3. Davis 3-Seat Lounger in Darius from Crate & Barrel.
4. Club 3-Seater Sofa in Bayoux from CB2.
5. André Sofas in Vance Teal from Room & Board.
6. Either/Or Convertible Sofa in Turquoise from Urban Outfitters.
7. Fusion Tufted Velvet Sofa in Teal from One Kings Lane.
8. Fillmore Sofa in Lucky Turquoise from Thrive Furniture.
9. Rue Apartment Sofa in Bayoux from CB2.
10. Emerson Sofa in Lucky Turquoise from Joybird Furniture.
amberFebruary 3, 2015at6:11 pm
This is absolutely a thing. When I bought a couch I was obsessed with finding the perfect deep blue one (check out west elm’s velvet couch; they’re great). I felt like I hit a milestone when it comes as delivered!
Val BromannFebruary 3, 2015at8:04 pm
It does feel like a milestone! I’ve always had roommates with hand-me-down furniture or furnished college apartments – this will be the base of my own place – all MINE! 🙂 And I’ll definitely check out their velvet 🙂
KarynFebruary 3, 2015at10:03 pm
I like 3& 9
JuliaFebruary 5, 2015at11:27 am
1, 3, 6 & 8 all look stylish and yet kinda comfortable/more room to lay down and sprawl out.
Val BromannFebruary 5, 2015at5:23 pm
I’ve tried 1 and 3 in person and they’re both very comfortable! Those are probably my top 2 🙂
LucieFebruary 9, 2015at10:04 pm
Here’s my opinion on all of them:
1) Too “Mad Men” (unless that’s the look you’re going for?)
2) Looks uncomfortable (and judging by the number of times you mention Hulu/Netflix on Twitter, you need a super comfy couch!)
3) Would be my first choice, looks comfy, you can fall asleep on it without hurting all over in the morning; but is a bit more “powder blue” than “teal”…
4) Would be close second. Its colour is “tealer” (more teal = “tealer”, right??), looks comfy, nice clean lines.
5) Has the best colour (on my monitor anyways!) but its legs look flimsy by their position. And I don’t like the “buttons” on the back rest.
6) Ugliest of the lot. Looks like an old futon you’d find in your grandma’s basement. In the 70s…
7) Napoleon Bonaparte called, he wants his couch back! Nice colour though.
8) Looks comfy, clean lines, I could put it in 3rd place.
9) Looks hard, like it’s hardly padded. Nice lines and nice colour though.
10) You really don’t want to cuddle on a date, do you? Buy this one when you have been with a husband for 25 years and you don’t really want to talk to each other…
Of course, this is judging a couch by its cover… I have no idea of their relative prices (some of them look expensive). Also, do they fit in your appartment?
Val BromannMarch 4, 2015at1:35 pm
Thanks for your thorough reviews! Some were definitely more impractical (like 10…but it was cute…) And don’t worry, I waited until I actually moved and measured to order anything!
KatrinkaFebruary 18, 2015at1:57 pm
I like #5 the best. And I wholeheartedly support teal-couch-lust.
MeganFebruary 26, 2015at8:00 pm
#1 is my favorite! For what it’s worth, I don’t think it’s weird at all to be dreaming of having a couch. I did too, before I got mine when I got back from my RTW trip. When I finally decided to come home I said all I wanted was my own couch. My advice is to sit on it if you can, they all look great but the cushions might be very different. You want something you can be comfortable on.
Val BromannMarch 4, 2015at1:38 pm
I think there’s something about having a good couch that makes a good home 🙂 Half of these I have actually sat on to test out and picked the one that I felt was the best mesh of style and comfort! 🙂
KatOctober 2, 2015at12:26 pm
I’m obsessed with having a teal couch, too! I’m going to cover my Neo by Bensen (http://www.bensen.ca/products/neo ) in Gibson Velvet in “Admiral” (a deep teal) ( http://www.housefabric.com/Gibson-Admiral-P163008.aspx )
I’ve never had anything by ‘neutral’ furniture, so this will be interesting… Wish me luck!
Kat @ TheWeighWeWere.com